Welding -Foundation (Level "C")
7 Month Certificate Program
September 6, 2016 to April 13, 2017
This 7 month program at the Powell River campus of Vancouver Island University, is taught in a modular format, with practical and related knowledge modules. Classes are in session 4 days per week.
- Criminal Record Check (approx $39.25)
- Minimum 17 years of age
- Grade 12 or provincial equivalent, or mature student status (19 years)
- All Students will be required to complete a $20.00 Assessment Test (study materials are available)
Notes on Admission
- Adequate vision, and free from respiratory ailments
- Physically suited to the trade
- Applicants who do not possess the minimum educational requirements may have their work experience assessed in lieu of educational requirements
Students must successfully complete seven months of welding and five months on-the-job experience as a welder before being granted Foundation qualification by the Provincial Ministry.
- WELD 102T Intro & Program Orientation - Theory
- WELD 104T Oxy-Fuel Cutting - Theory
- WELD 105T Oxy-Fuel Cutting - Practical
- WELD 106T Gas Welding & Braze Welding - Theory
- WELD 107T Gas Welding & Braze Welding - Practical
- WELD 108T Shielded Metal Arc Welding - Theory
- WELD 109T Shielded Metal Arc Welding - Practical
- WELD 110T Air Carbon Arc Gouging - Theory
- WELD 111T Air Carbon Arc Gouging - Practical
- WELD 112T Gas Metal Arc Welding & Flux Cored Arc Welding - Theory
- WELD 113T Gas Metal Arc Welding & Flux Cored Arc Welding - Practical
- WELD 114T Materials Handling
- WELD 116T Blueprint Reading I
- WELD 118T Mathematics
- WELD 120T Welding Metallurgy I
|Student & Activity Fees||
|International Student Tuition||
$1740.00 per month
All fees are subject to change without prior notice.
Students will need to purchase steel-toed shoes, a welding jacket, coveralls, goggles, welding helmet, calculator and protractor kit, all of which will cost approximately $275. The cost of required textbooks is approximately $475.
Financial Assistance may be available to students demonstrating financial need. This program is government student loan eligible. Applications for the academic year are available each May at any post-secondary institution, or on-line at www.aved.gov.bc.ca/studentaidbc.
More information is available from an Advisor at Vancouver Island University.
Please call (604) 485-2878 to make an appointment.
- Submit an application form
(No application deadline date, however apply early as space is limited)
- Schedule an assessment test, if required
- *Dual Credit Students click here for information on how to apply for this program.
When the Registration Center confirms that you have been admitted, you will be advised when and how to register and pay for your program.
Graduates of Welding Foundation have found employment in shipyards, fabrication shops, and construction industries.
Nanaimo campus offers Welding Levels 1, 2, and 3 as well as other specialty welding-related training programs. Level 2 welders have found jobs in sawmills or anywhere that requires a welder who is qualified to do pressure procedures. Level 3 holders are employable in almost any location.
Welding is an extremely useful skill, especially for those who like to travel because welders can usually find work anywhere in the world.
Click here for more information about Welding Levels 2 and 3 available at Vancouver Island University. Training sessions, from one day to several weeks in length, can be designed to cover every aspect of the trade. Contact the Welding Department at the Nanaimo Campus of VIU at 250-740-6139 for more information.
The Welding Apprenticeship Program consists of 3 levels or years of on-the-job experience and 4 levels of in-school technical training. Each level of technical training is 6 weeks in length. Apprenticeship technical training at VIU may be scheduled on an individual basis. Contact Paul Mottershead, Coordinator at 250-740-6123.
For information on apprenticeship training, please visit the Industry Training Authority website at www.itabc.ca, contact the Industry Training Centre at 1-866-660-6011, or call VIU's Apprenticeship Coordinator at 250-740-6112. Visit VIU's Trades and Applied Technology Apprenticeship page for more information and schedules.