Educational Support Services for First Nations students
We are here to support students of Native ancestry in making a succesful transition to Vancouver Island University and to enable students to succeed in their academic endeavors by providing direct services and appropriate referrals.
Educational Support Services:
- assist new students with timetabling and registration
- listen to and provide support to students with academic or personal concerns
- liaise with bands, tribal councils, students, faculty, elders, departments within Vancouver Island University as well as other post-secondary institutions
- provide information about First Nations bursaries, scholarships, student loans, and sponsor funding for Status and Metis students
- assist out-of-town students to find accommodation and daycare
- promote cultural, recreational, and social activities in partnership with First Nations students
- provide information on the following:
- academic learning support - resource rooms, writing centre and student serices
- career planning
- counselling (both personal and substance abuse)
- employment information through student services, the employment board in Room 118 and CareerLink
To make an appointment with one of our advisors, please phone 604-485-2878 or email one of our advisors.