College Preparation for Adults - Basic Skills to Grade 12
Adult Basic Education or ABE program is for adults who want to:
- Complete prerequisite courses needed for further study
- Obtain a graduation certificate
- Prepare for employment
- Refresh their skills and confidence for work or further studies
- Reach a personal goal
- ENGL 067 English-Provincial (Literature 12)
- MATH 047 Principles of Math 11 - Advanced (Pre Calc 11)
- MATH 067 Principles of Math 12 (Pre Calc 12)
- PHYS 047 Principles of Physics 11
Minimum 17 years of age and out of school for one year
High school graduation
Enrolled in a VIU academic or trades/vocational program.
Note: An assessment may be required for placement purposes if prerequisites were completed more than 5 years prior to admission. To book an assessment, please call 604-485-2878.
Seniors - Age Exemption
Domestic students 65 years or older are entitled to free tuition for Academic courses, space permitting. This exemption applies to tuition fees and Student Activity Fees only; it does not apply to Students’ Union Fees, Professional Development and Training courses, Trades programs, or textbook purchases and Differential Tuition and/or Other Mandatory Student Fees.
For more information please contact an Advisor by calling the campus at 604-485-2878 or by email.
For up to date course cost - CLICK HERE
Financial support may be available through Services Canada, First Nations Bands, the Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG) and other sources. Check with the agencies concerned or a VIU advisor.
Students can work toward an ABE certificate, a BC Adult Graduation Diploma or focus on prerequisite courses for entry to specific programs. Students should talk to an advisor to discuss upgrading possibilities. Call the Powell River Campus to book an appointment for information on course availability, start date, and registration.
Continuous Intake: students can start every two weeks
September 5, 2017 and June 29, 2018
Course Term - 15 weeks
- Open to all VIU students for writing skills support and development; English Instructor led.
- For students with a developmental disability or barriers to learning
- Employment Prepartion