College Preparation for Adults - Basic Skills to Grade 12
Adult Basic Education or ABE program (also known as Career and Academic Preparation) is for adults who want to:
- Complete prerequisite courses needed for further study
- Obtain a graduation certificate
- Prepare for employment
- Refresh their skills and confidence for work or further studies
- Reach a personal goal
- Small classes
- Flexible scheduling
- Individualized help
Minimum 17 years of age and out of school a minimum of one year
High school graduation
Enrolled in a VIU academic or trades/vocational program
Note: An assessment may be required for placement purposes if prerequisites were completed more than 5 years prior to admission. Study materials are available from the Powell River campus library or can be downloaded from the VIU website. To book an assessment, please phone 604-485-2878.
Fee Type Cost
Tuition (per course)
$320.00 Student & Activity Fees $69.15 Total $389.15* Application Fee $37.80
* The above table is based on a four-month semester. ABE courses can run more than, or less than, four months. Fees will be adjusted accordingly.
Contact the ABE Department for a list of required textbooks and costs.
All fees and other costs are subject to change without prior notice.
Financial support may be available through Services Canada, Native Bands, the Adult Basic Education Student Assistance Program (ABESAP) and other sources. Check with the agencies concerned or a VIU advisor.
Adult Basic Education covers four levels:
- Fundamental - Grade 8 equivalency: to learn reading, writing and basic math & computer skills
- Intermediate - Grade 10 equivalency: to prepare for the many vocational programs that require Grade 10.
- Advanced - Grade 11 equivalency: to prepare for most vocational & technical programs and to complete prerequisites for academic programs.
- Provincial - equivalent to academic Grade 12: to prepare for university and some technical programs. Courses can be used towards a BC Adult Graduation diploma.
Students can take courses at different levels at the same time. Adult Basic Education courses can be taken full-time or part-time, during the day or evening. Students can work toward an ABE certificate, a BC Adult Graduation Diploma or focus on prerequisite courses for entry to specific programs. Students should talk to an advisor to discuss upgrading possibilities. Call the Powell River Campus to book an appointment for information on course availability, start date, and registration.
Fall Term 2014
Sept 2, 2014 – Jan 15, 2015
Spring Term 2015
Jan 26, 2015 – May 28, 2015
Most courses are run on a continuous intake basis so students can start at the beginning of each month, if space allows.
Zora Soprovich, English
Wendy Thomas, English, Writing Centre
Gerry Joynt, Math, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Studies
TBA, Workplace Essentials Skills Training
ABE English, Computer Studies, Math and Science Prep.
- Get extra help with your coursework from an Instructor in a classroom setting.
- Take tests or study
- Prepare for assessment tests
- Get help from an Instructor in a classroom setting to prepare for your assessment test.
- Open to all VIU students for writing skills support and development; English Instructor led.
- For Canadians and permanent residents
- All levels, from beginner to advanced
- For students with a developmental disability